"No Myth" on Pop-Up Video
VH-1's Pop-Up Video aired "No Myth" recently (5/98), and someone kindly sent me a typed list of all the bubbles that appear during the video. The featured factoids range from common knowledge to pretty amusing tidbits. I was just glad to know that this video was still being played. :-) -TL
The words in brackets are comments put in by the person who sent this info to me. (Thanks to TheMallKat.)
- This video was shot over two days in a commercial stage in Los Angeles.
- Video concept: different lives "coexisting" in a single building
- Michael and keyboardist Patrick Warren have coexisted since forming a band in
- This is Michael's first video--he wanted it to be an "anti-video."
- Michael's anti-video guarantee:
- No breaking glass
- No cleavage
- No cars
- Romeo did not wear black jeans--they weren't invented until 1848.
- Elvis did--he started his own jeans line in 1957.
- It was rumored he "stuffed" his.
- Crossing legs [Michael is crossing his legs] for long periods of time can
cramp "stuffing" and reduce sperm count.
- Number of children Michael has: 1
- He also has two younger brothers--actors Sean and Chris Penn.
- Sean is known as the "anti-press" Penn.
- Michael Penn
Born: August 1, 1958
Place: New York, NY
- Michael says most celebrity families are "freakish celebrations of
- The numbers [in the video] are intended to count off the lines in the song's
- Water scenes [in the video] were taken from one of Michael's favorite
films--1954's Victory at Sea.
- The director saw 100 actresses before casting this one for her "wide-set
- Michael did not want to lipsynch in this video.
- His label insisted.
- [Michael drops his pick]
- Michael's response:
- [Michael backs away from the microphone and mumbles]
- To emphasize his lipsynching
- [Arrow pointing to enlarged pick on floor] Actual size: 8"
- Michael appeared in 1997's "Boogie Nights"--a film about the porn industry.
- He had a small part.
- He first appeared as a lab technician on a 1985 episode of "St. Elsewhere."
- His first gig was at a junior high school talent show.
- Some of these scenes were shot "secretly"--the actress didn't know the camera
- ['Don't Tread On Me' flag appears on-screen] Michael's flag
- He strapped it on his car and drove around to "age" it for the video.
- This actor didn't know he was auditioning for a music video.
- The label suggested they cast actors who were "more video."
- They also suggested Michael change the name of this song to "Romeo In Black
- He refused.
- But their suggestions did prompt one change.
- He stopped wearing black jeans.
- It's no myth that Michael involved himself in every aspect of this anti-video.
He has admitted to being a "pest" during its shooting, but the video made a
Romeo out of Michael--it won him MTV's Best New Artist award in 1989. He wore
black slacks to accept.
| Announcements | Appearances | Discography | FAQ | Links | Multimedia | Miscellaneous |
| Press | Site Info | Transcriptions | Main Menu |